How Can Alternative Herbal Treatments Help Me?
When Conventional Medicine Can't Help You
Interested in Alternative Treatments But Afraid to Take the First Step?
It's a perfectly natural reaction. Millions of people are just now starting to learn how alternative medicines are providing astounding results where "traditional" medicines fall short.
What Kinds of Alternative Medicine Treatments Are Available?
Unlike with traditional medicine, where you are forced to stay on a strict regimen of pills or expensive treatment schedules, alternative medicines have a variety of disciplines and focus on the whole body, not just the treatment of symptoms. For example:
- Mind, Body and Spiritual - These types of treatments help to relax the mind and body and relieve fear, panic and stress. Common examples include yoga, tai-chi, hypnotherapy and mental imaging.
- Non-Western Medical Practices - These ancient cultural practices include Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy and Naturopathy. Many involve herbal remedies and motion therapies designed to relieve stress and strengthen the body's immune system.
- Lifestyle Changes and Disease Prevention - This alternative form of treatment may involve eating organic foods, healthy, regular exercise and a daily regimen of vitamins and minerals to keep the body in shape. It can also involve herbal supplements as well.
- Body-Based Systems - Advocates of these field of alternative medicine believe that proper manipulation of various parts of the body will result in speedier healing and relief from various conditions and illnesses. Specialties include acupuncture / acupressure, Reiki and therapeutic massage.
- Aromatherapy - Many people have reported relief for specific illnesses and conditions (particularly those dealing with the sinuses, lungs and skin) when inhaling or bathing in certain essential oil mixtures, a practice called aromatherapy. Animals and pets can also benefit from this practice as well!
- Magnet Therapy - You've no doubt seen or heard about the recent news surrounding magnetic items being used for health care. Many people, even skeptics, have reported relief when applying specially formed magnets to tender muscles and swollen joints. These products are now becoming a part of many mainstream chiropractic and sports therapy centers.
How Do I Know Which Form of Alternative Medicine or Therapy is Right for Me?
With so many different areas to choose from, it may be confusing at first to understand it all. We highly recommend clicking the links within the Alternative Medicine menu to the left to learn more about the variety of alternative treatments available.
So How Can Alternative Treatments Help Me?
One of the best reasons for choosing alternative medicine is the wide range of choices that fall in the patient's hands. You, not your doctor or the pharmaceutical industry, are in charge of your care and can make informed decisions based on the wealth of information available on particular herbs, techniques and therapies.
In addition, you can also use certain herbal and alternative therapies in conjunction with traditional medicine for a more complete result. This is an ideal way to "try out" alternative remedies without sacrificing the wealth of knowledge that "modern" medicine provides.
Learn more about the skin by reading our article about the integumentary system.
An Important Note for People Already Taking Prescription Medicines
Remember, if you are currently taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicine, consult your doctor before beginning any alternative medicine treatment or therapy, as some herbal mixtures may interfere or react with your current medicines.
For more information on herbal remedies to treat specific conditions, visit our herbal supplements page.
- National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicine- Get the facts - Acupuncture
Pages in this category:
Link to us!
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting or stopping any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. You should not start or stop taking any pharmaceutical product without first consulting your prescribing physician. Please refer to the Disclaimer/Legal Information section on this website for more details.