Stop Smoking Tips
It is hard to stop smoking, there is no denying that. It can be done however, and there are successful ways to stop smoking that are natural and not based on gums and patches. Read on for some useful tips.
"I Felt Like I Had Turned into a Monster..."
My Body And Mind Were Focused On One Thing, and One Thing Only...
When the cravings hit me, it felt like nothing else mattered. My family's wants and needs were suddenly irritants and aggravations. Small frustrations, like misplacing my car keys, became massive headaches. I'd snap at my children for no reason.
My short-temperedness would inevitably lead me right where I didn't want to go. It was so inviting, so calming. "Just one" I'd tell myself, "I'll start quitting tomorrow".
Tomorrow became Monday, Monday became next week...Next week became next month...
The hold that cigarettes have on your body is unmistakable. You start smoking to be part of the "in" crowd, but more and more, you begin to feel alienated. You're suddenly ousted and barred from restaurants, buildings and meetings where No Smoking signs glare at you mockingly.
Is There Any Proven, Successful Way to Quit?
You may have tried them all before: Patches, gums, "cold turkey"...and felt as if nothing worked. But the more you help prepare your body for the realization that it will soon be "going without" nicotine, the more likely you are to quit - once and for all. Remember, it's not your lack of dedication or determination that keeps you from quitting, but the vicious hold that nicotine has over your body.
The Symptoms of Withdrawal WILL PASS!
Other smokers will gleefully tell you what you get to look forward to when you try to quit:
- Intense cravings
- Insomnia Fatigue
- Inability to concentrate
- Sore Throat
- Constipation or other stomach problems
But think of those symptoms in relation to what you put into your body when you take a puff. Below are just a few of the thousands of chemicals (and common uses for them) that are dumped into your system every time you smoke a cigarette:
- Acetone (nail polish remover)
- Arsenic (rat poison)
- Butane (lighter fluid)
- Cadmium (rechargeable batteries)
- Carbon monoxide (car exhaust fumes)
- DDT (insecticide)
- Formaldehyde (used to embalm dead people)
- Hydrogen cyanide (gas chamber poison)
- Vinyl chloride (plastic piping)
Here Are a Few All-Natural Ways to Help Your Body Cope!
Stopping smoking is often a difficult task, but within hours, your body will start to repair the damage that cigarettes and nicotine have done to it. To help you get your mind off of craving, try:
- Telling yourself that you'll wait 5 more minutes. Usually by this time, the craving has passed!
- Call a friend or, better yet, go for a walk. The fresh air will do wonders for your lungs, and you'll get your mind off wanting that cigarette.
- Drink more water which will naturally help you feel fuller and help your body flush out the toxins in your bloodstream resulting from cigarettes.
- Get more rest. Remember, your body is fighting an addiction. Help it repair and restore its natural balance by giving it the "downtime" it needs.
- Take vitamins C, E and B Complex to help your body get back what the toxins in cigarettes strip away.
- Eat well-balanced meals to keep your body from moving from one craving (cigarettes) to another (fatty/sugary foods or caffeine).
- Reward yourself by relaxing! Take a hot bath, read a good book, or listen to music. If a craving is intense, try some meditative tapes. We have several to choose from in our Health Books, Audio and Video department.
These Are All Great Ways to Cope... But How Do I Quit?
One of the best ways to start is to have someone to talk to about your feelings. They could be a smoker, a non-smoker, or someone who has recently quit or is trying. Either way, past smokers will know how you feel and can share their tips for overcoming cravings once and for all!
In the meantime though, here are some products and services we, and millions of smokers, highly recommend:
IVE QUIT - A fascinating new program that helps you find the correct mindset to give up your smoking habit for life! Available as a downloadable audiobook, so you can burn it to CD and listen to it in the car, while you're walking, or anywhere else when a craving might hit!
Attack Your Addiction - Conquer your cravings once and for all and stop smoking for good! This easy 4-step program turns your hopes into realistic, achievable goals!
Stop Smoking Products from Vitabase - smoking cessation was never so painless. These products can give you the power to win the war against nicotine addiction, choose one for yourself. Are you ready to quit smoking? Take control! Quit today!
- National Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion - Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking
Pages in this category:
Link to us!
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting or stopping any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. You should not start or stop taking any pharmaceutical product without first consulting your prescribing physician. Please refer to the Disclaimer/Legal Information section on this website for more details.